Evaluation and treatment for post-concussion syndrome
While concussions typically resolve in three to four weeks with proper care, up to 1 in 4 children with concussions may develop post-concussion syndrome or have a complex concussion. These patients require proper evaluation and treatment to get back to school and activities without injury-related issues.
Our Pediatric Concussion Clinic combines the expertise of a pediatric sports medicine physician, the USC Concussion and Health Neuroscience Laboratory and Palmetto Health Rehabilitation Services, including physical, occupational and speech therapy. We can appropriately evaluate and treat many of the dysfunctions caused by concussions to help patients recover.
Conditions that require evaluation and treatment
- Multiple concussions
- History of anxiety, depression, learning disabilities or sleep disorder prior to injury
- Difficulty completing schoolwork or employment duties compared to before injury, due to issues with memory, concentration, problem solving, etc
- Exercise intolerance
- Migraines or persistent headaches
- Balance problems or dizziness
- Visual problems
- Symptoms present beyond 21 days (children and adolescents)
9 Richland Medical Park Dr., Suite 410
Columbia, SC 29203
We are located inside the Palmetto Health Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine office.
Office hours: Mondays and Wednesdays, 1–5 p.m.
- Monday afternoons for initial evaluation and acute injuries.
- Wednesday afternoons for multidisciplinary evaluations and treatments.
Pediatric Sports Medicine