Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation Center
Sandra and Leon Levine Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation Center
A comprehensive, interdisciplinary patient- and family-centered program
The Sandra and Leon Levine Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation Center at Prisma Health Children's Hospital–Midlands is the first of its kind to allow South Carolina children and families to stay in-state for care.
Our mission is to maximize the child or young adult’s functional potential, quality of life and reintegration into their home, school and community.
Children and teens who will benefit from our services include those with:
- Brain injury, spinal cord injury, or multi-trauma after a car accident or other trauma.
- Brain or spinal cord infections or tumors.
- Acute stroke or anoxic brain injury.
- Loss of function after major surgery or a prolonged illness or hospital stay.
Who we are
Our care team specializes in functional ability, offering medications, therapies and programs to restore skills and mobility to those children and teens facing temporary or permanent disabilities and loss of function.
Our board-certified pediatric rehabilitation physicians and specially trained rehabilitation nursing staff work closely with:
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech language therapists
- Cognitive education specialist
- Recreational therapist
- Music therapist
- Social worker and case manager
- Respiratory therapists
Center and program highlights
- Private patient rooms with patient lift systems from bed to bath.
- Parents are always welcome, and one parent may sleep at the child’s bedside.
- Individual treatment plans and customized schedules for therapy, playtime and school.
- A state-of-the-art gym specially designed for children and teens undergoing rehabilitative therapies.
- A Snoezelen multi-sensory room to stimulate or calm patients through light, sounds and tactile experiences.
- A hallway walking system
- Weekly meetings to update families on progress, plus family conferences held upon admission and discharge.
Why choose us?
- We provide exceptional, compassionate family-centered inpatient rehabilitation care for children and young adults throughout South Carolina and the surrounding region.
- We offer comprehensive, interdisciplinary programs within a full-service acute care hospital, with access to over 30 pediatric subspecialties.
- Our physicians are specially trained in both physical medicine and rehabilitation and pediatric rehabilitation medicine.
- We will maximize the expertise of our team by attaining the highest levels of certification, including rehabilitation-certified nurses and accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
- We treat every child and young adult as if they are our own.
You can learn more about the Sandra and Leon Levine Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation Center at Prisma Health Children’s Hospital–Midlands in the fall 2018 issue of Portfolio magazine.
Each year, 40-50 patients at Prisma Health Children’s Hospital–Midlands experience a condition or injury that requires specialized rehabilitation. Help them stay at home for care.
Thank you to The Leon Levine Foundation and other community donors for supporting The Sandra and Leon Levine Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation Center.
7 Richland Medical Park Dr., 5th Floor
Columbia, SC 29203
Medical Director, Pediatric Rehabilitation